Tuesday, April 27, 2010

painting and paella

I had a good day! It seems like the first one in a while. It was nothing exciting...I got up for the usual prayer and breakfast at 7ish, and then went back to bed for a cheeky little nap after my husband had left for work. I got up and did some cleaning (a rarity lately) and some reading. A friend called in for lunch and ended up staying most of the day, until after dinner. I got on the train and opened the book of Romans (specifically chapter 7), where I had my mind blown once again by God's amazing challenge to a life that rejects rules and norms and restrictions and expectations. I went to group therapy where we discussed using creativity to aid recovery. It was a very exciting conversation. What can I do, personally and collaboratively, to learn to use my gifts creatively in a way that aids my emotional well-being? I'm going to give this some thought this week. The thoughts of painting, or sculpture, or recording music or whatever... these things seem like bright and hopeful activities. Any of the locals reading, if you want to do something together, let me know.

Food:

Breakfast: Bagel with peanut butter and half a banana.
Lunch: Half a large wholewheat pitta with ham, cheese, lettuce, cucumber, boiled egg and peppers, followed by mixed berries and a little natural yoghurt.
Dinner: Paella.

The paella was good. I have no idea if it was in any way authentic, as I've never eaten it before. Here's what I did and it served three hungry people with a little left over:

225g risotto/paella rice
800ml chicken stock
100ml white wine
140g raw prawns (you can use cooked ones either)
1 large chicken breast, cubed
Half a chorizo ring, sliced
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
Handful green beans (I used fine beans)
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 small red chillis, chopped
2 tsp. smoked paprika
Salt and pepper

1. Fry chorizo until it releases its lovely flavourful oils. Set aside. Fry chicken in chorizo oil. Set aside. Fry prawns. Set aside.
2. Fry onion, garlic and chillis in the remaining oil until soft.
3. Add rice and peppers. Stir to coat with oil. Add stock, wine and smoked paprika. Stir well.
4. Leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
5. Add cooked meats and green beans. Stir well. Simmer for 10 minutes until everything is thoroughly heated though.
6. Taste, season and eat. Delicious!

I'd say the important bit is the quantity of liquid to the quantity of rice. The rest you could play about with, adding more or less of the meats, fish and vegetables as you prefer. I would also consider highering the ratio of wine to stock next time, maybe 250ml / 650ml. Anyway, it's very tasty. :)

2 comments:

  1. I can sew. What could I/we make? I know you have your toy project. Mmm. I'd love to do short practical projects, like making scarves or bags. Let's talk!

    ReplyDelete