Saturday, May 15, 2010

pancakes

The husband unit and I recently became fans of the Amercan-style pancake. In Europe, the most popular kind of pancakes are crepes, and these are eaten savoury or sweet with a variety of fillings, and it would be ridiculous to try to make them without lots of eggs and butter, as that's what makes them wonderful.

However fluffy American breakfast pancakes are altogether a different beast. I decided to attempt a healthy version of them today for our lazy Saturday lunch, and was really, really pleased with the outcome. So pleased, in fact, that this is how we will be making them from now on. These are light, fluffy and tasty, and using this recipe, come in at about 80 calories each. (I should add - I genuinely don't count calories day-to-day. However I do like to know what I am eating, so I work out the calories of new recipes, once, and then forget about it.)

This recipe makes 6 pancakes.

Ingredients:

30g white flour
30g brown wholewheat flour
30g oat flour (I made this by putting 30g of oats into the food processor and whizzing until floury)
1 medium egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup of low-fat milk

Method:

1. Sieve the flours into a bowl. Some bits won't sieve though - because oat flour and wholewheat flour is a little chunky! Simply tip these chunky bits in on top of your sieved flours in the bowl. Add the other dry ingredients and stir.
2. Add the egg and milk and whisk well.
3. Heat up a small non-stick pan without oil to a medium-high setting. Put a quarter cup of the batter onto the pan. When lots of bubbles rise on its surface, flip it. Leave for a few moments until it seems firm and swelling, then remove, keep warm, and repeat.
4. Eat!


Here is the watermelon and delicious Americano coffee we had with it too. Husband Unit took this photo and insisted that I include it. :D



2 comments:

  1. Mmm, looks yummy! How do you eat them? I recently discovered that they're just as tasty without a boatload of butter and maple syrup (how I used to eat them) when my husband suggested sugar-free syrup or jam. And your husband's Americano looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we did put a little maple syrup on them. But only a drizzle! :)

    ReplyDelete