Monday, May 17, 2010

catch-up

So I was finally so busy that I missed a day of blogging. I know you will have been weeping in my absence, but fear not; I have returned to regale you with tales of food beyond your wildest dreams and wisdom of which 'til now you have only heard whispers. (Not a guarantee.)

So on Saturday night I went to a party. I snacked on bits and pieces. None of them were healthy, but I did enjoy them, for the most part. I am having a hormonal few days and very much wanting to snack. I ate a handful of cocktail sausages (exact number willfully unknown), a tablespoon of chicken curry with rice, a slice of garlic bread, a handful of crisps, a slice of birthday cake and a glass of white wine.

Yesterday was a long, unusual day. I took a road-trip northwards with 19 other folks from my church. We took our worship team and led an evening service for another church. I sing, and it involved a lot of singing. We were a little anxious, as it's a strange context for worship, but we made it through and they were delighted with us. Here's how I did with food:

Breakfast: Banana raisin oats with peanut butter.
Snack: 1 mandarin and 10 pecans.
Lunch (main meal, in a pub): Chicken in a garlic and herb crumb with peas, cabbage, carrots and gravy, with a little mashed potato and stuffing. And...free dessert! Meringue with fruit and cream.
Snack: A handful of wine gums in the car.
Snack around 8.15pm: A slice of Madeira cake.
Evening meal, at around 10.30pm(!): McDonalds! Most places close in Northern Ireland on a Sunday so we were very limited in our restaurant-choice. I had a Chicken Legend sandwich with medium fries and a Diet Coke. I thought I was making a reasonable choice. However it transpired when one of my companions checked the nutritional information of all of our meals that in fact the Chicken Legend has more calories in it than the frickin' Big Mac. Wtf?! It didn't even taste that good. And my tummy has been complaining ever since.
Snack: 1 chocolate.

So not a stellar weekend with food. I do consciously relax a little on the weekends, but it is becoming a pattern now it seems where I eat more poorly Friday, Saturday, Sunday and get back to healthier choices Monday-Thursday. I need to review this, as this is "diet mentality" which is a road to failure for me. I need consistency, consistency, consistency, with the odd treat thrown in. However it's difficult, as the weekend brings with it restaurants, parties, celebrations, dates, BBQs and the rest, and I also maintain a "no deprivation; all in moderation" policy within myself. I just need to keep thinking and attempting to be mindful with what I eat. An important thing to highlight is that I do watch my portions (and ironically, find I am very satisfied with smaller portions). This makes a huge difference. There is a big difference in terms of calories of having a plate of chicken curry with rice to having a heaped tablespoon of it. There is a big difference between a measured handful of crisps and sitting snacking with the bowl on your lap all evening. I have finally realised that these things matter...not just to my weight, but mentally too.

However the weekend has ended and I am probably a bit malnourished. :) So, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables as much as possible this week. Happy eating y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment